Saturday, December 13, 2014

No No! I Don't Want To!

Because of our Mennonite -ness I've always been a bit of a home maker/sewer/cooker but there are LIMITS!
Or so I thought...

When I was a teen I baked bread and fell in love with anything made with yeast and flour, BUT

you can buy good bread at the store.

Or so I thought, until I spoiled my children and my husband with home made bread.

Then it was

"Mom isn't there any bread around here? Good bread I mean."

And their thankfulness after a week or two of store-bought bread was enough to spur me on...
that and I happen to like good home made bread too!

Then it was cereal, my hubby likes to keep his sugar intake down and a large selection of low sugar boxed breakfast cereal is not readily available. He gets tired of shredded wheat and the "Mom's Best" brand of Oat Clusters is no where to be found.

So then there is granola or baked oatmeal.

THEN people started talking about their wonderful home made yogurt.

NO!  NO!  I told one person that I refuse to make it because I'm sure my children will like it then...

"mom where's the yogurt?"


That was until we went to NY and my sister-in-law had her yogurt set on the table for breakfast.

"Here Chris, taste this."

NOW I'm making yogurt....about a gallon a week.

Made out of whole milk fresh from the farm....it's quite good and economical at $3 a gallon plus the price of the "starter" yogurt


               Last night we had the Christmas program  and they all got dressed in fancy duds.


This morning my hubby asked me to stop by the store and pick up some good quality hand lotion.
"Can't have glycerine in it because of the wood."
They banned some hand lotion at his job because the wooden doors absorb it and then when the stain dept tries to stain the doors there are funny marks where the glycerine soaked into the wood first.

so off I went...Burt's Bees has a lotion without glycerine for the tune of $8.99 for 2 oz  and Watkins has a similar lotion for $7.99.

Now I'm researching lotion recipes.  I think this one looks simple and I think I can make a bunch of lotion for $9.00

Oh and I bought fabric today  at $5  a bolt you can't go far wrong.


         this one has fine little holes like a screen....not sure but maybe a pocket on a tote....landscape
                 fabric?


No comments:

Post a Comment