Monday, October 26, 2015

Our Boring Hum-Drum Life


Life in these parts is just moseying along. Last Thursday my hubby came in from splitting wood with his hand dripping blood. He looked a tad pale. We got the bleeding controlled. He told me he was using the wedge to split a log and a piece of the wedge must have split off and hit him.
"Do you think there is anything in there?"
"No, I think I could tell. It just hurts- the whole way up my arm!"
I left the decision up to the expert, after all, he deals with splinters and foreign objects more often than I do.
Then five days later when it wasn't healing up quite as expected, he was playing with a magnet and ran it over his hand. Guess what!? The magnet stuck to his hand!
He thought I should just use my skills and carefully incise that spot and take out the piece of metal.
"Sorry dear, I'm not that skilled."
The doctor was impressed with the magnet trick though and took a picture to use in a future speech.


Since this one goes to school, I normally go shopping alone.
But this week I took her with me to W-mart, I forgot how loud she is!
AND that she has no filter.
We walked in the door, "MOM, EWW! look at that guy!"
I froze, and looked around whew it was just a Halloween decoration and it was "ewww".
Walked past the toothbrushes and she declared that she needed one.
"no dear, you just got a new one ,"
"You never get me anything!"
" I know I'm terrible."
Next aisle, loudly with an audience "You are just a terrible mother!"
Turned the corner and needed to wait until some little girls moved out of the way
"Mom they are just standing there!"

Next aisle a lady with no hair and a kerchief on her head, 
"Hey! She's wearing a covering."

I had enough, I stopped and talked very quietly and close to her ear, "It is NOT OK to just say everything you think. You need to talk quietly."
I thought I had told her this before.

Maybe it worked, because she missed some announcement opportunities on the way out.



Blowing the milkweed seeds.
We didn't find any Monarch caterpillars this year.




Then Thursday night I got a text from Zeke (who was in a nearby inner-city kids club) saying 
"We're not exactly sure of motive but there was an attempted shooting outside. Karen (one of the teachers) had a bullet hole through her skirt. Caused general chaos. And we had to take all the children home in car rides. Check Fox news."

I figured that it was a case of "wrong place at the wrong time"
But it turned out that it almost could not have been a case of mistaken identity.
So really not sure what was going on. 

Between the boy that is sleeping in a bamboo house on stilts somewhere "over there" and the boy that sends texts like this, I'm getting some extra prayer time.

Gotta remember the Praise story too
A number of weeks ago, Ben was headed out on the first missions trip from Bible school he is attending. He was headed to a desert that has yurts for houses.
The day before he left, he sent a "urgent prayer request"
"A small pimple that was on my knee has suddenly grown and is getting painful. Advice please."
Since I sleep when he is awake, he got my advice when he was sleeping.
When I woke the next day, the e-mail said.
"going to the hospital to have it seen, it grew to the diameter of a baseball."

Finally caught up to him mere hours before he was to leave on a fourteen hour journey of layovers and plane flights.
"It feels better, they lanced it and irrigated it and wrapped it. Gave me antibiotics and told me to come back for the next ten days to have it wrapped."
Umm, "so are you still going?"
"Of course"
"Well Lord, he's yours, but take care of him for me."

Got a precious e-mail, text message "we're here, knee looks good"

Eleven days after they left, we were able to Skype again and it turns out that God had it all taken care of before they even left. The contact that they met, was a medical doctor.
She took care of him.

So the fact that I'm not quite as worried while he is on this trip is because my faith muscles are stronger?  I hope so. 


1 comment:

  1. I look forward to your "real" posts. The adoption world is often one of everything being "perfect". Thank you for sharing the not so perfect that is reality. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete